Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) condemned on Tuesday the suicide bombing that took place late on Monday near Al-Azhar Mosque in Al-Darb al-Ahmar neighborhood, resulting in the death of a police officer and two police sergeants according to an official statement by the Saudi Foreign Ministry.
Official Saudi sources said that the kingdom reiterated its strong rejection to such sinful terrorist attacks, offering condolences to the victims’ families, the government and the people of Egypt, and wishing speedy recovery to injured victims.
Noteworthy, Interior Ministry said earlier that the blast occurred after police surrounded the suspect following a chase and security forces identified the attacker as Al Hasan Abdullah, who resided in the old neighborhood.
The ministry added that the suspect was allegedly involved in an attack in Giza governorate last Friday in which an improvised explosive device (IED) was planted near Al-Istiqamah Mosque.
Earlier on Tuesday, Al-Azhar, the highest seat of learning in the Sunni Islamic world, condemned the attack in a statement, stressing that the security officials who were tracking the suspect prevented a larger attack from taking place.
Egypt’s Mufti’s office also condemned the attack, noting that terrorist organizations are uncomfortable with the country’s “security and stability”.
Both institutions wished God’s mercy on those who died and offered condolences to their relatives.
And the Prosecutor-General Nabil Sadek launched an investigation into the attack.