Daesh militants accompanied by women and children surrendered to the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in their hundreds on Thursday as the terrorists lost ground to a U.S.-backed assault on their last shred of territory, the SDF said.
SDF commander Adnan Afrin said the number of evacuees had yet to be determined as people were still emerging but it was in the hundreds, adding to the many thousands who have streamed out of Baghouz in recent weeks.
The surrender took place during a pause in the U.S.-backed offensive that began on Sunday to seize the final patch of populated Daesh territory – which once spanned a third of Iraq and Syria, including the cities of Mosul and Raqqa.
Earlier, artillery fire had pounded the enclave as warplanes flew overhead.
The SDF said the terrorists had deployed more than 20 suicide bombers in three counter-attacks in the last two days.
It said at least 112 militants had been killed since it resumed the assault, including more than 15 on Thursday morning.
No Daesh leaders are believed to be in Baghouz, according to a U.S. defense official. U.S. government experts strongly believe group leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is alive and possibly hiding in Iraq.